Here’s what COID expects you to do with the contractors you hired

Ashley Churchyard, Fsp Business, 02 Jul. 2014

Tags: coid, coid number, coid registration, injury at work, outside contractors and coid

Your company consists of all of your employees. Some of them are permanent and some of them you may have contracted.

But regardless of whether their contract says permanent or six months, you must still protect them.

This duty extends to COID too. Because these contractors are still in your employ, you’re responsible if they get sick or have an injury at work.

And that’s why you must do this one thing before you employ any outside contractors...

*********** Top rated product  ***************
Discover how to get COID to award every incident your company claims for...

COID applies to both your permanent and contracted employees

Your employees, both permanent and contract, have a legal right to claim compensation for injuries or illness.
It’s your duty to them to make sure they can do this. So you have to register your business with COID. Then if one of your employees has an injury, they can claim from the compensation fund. 
This process is simple for all of your permanent staff. You simply send their statement of earnings to the commissioner and he works out what you must pay for each of your employees.
But, the process is different for contracted employees. 

Check your contractors COID registration before you hire them

Outside contractors normally work under a larger organisation. This organisation should ensure their employees have registered with COID.
Before you hire an outside contractor, you must ask him for the COID number he received when he registered. This will help you ensure he is actually registered.
The next step is to ask him for a letter of good standing from the commissioner. 
You must keep this document and his COID registration number in his employee file. This way, if he’s injured you won’t have to pay him compensation out of your own pocket.
*********** Hot off the press  ************
Are you responsible for compiling your SHE file?
Are you struggling to keep up-to-date with all the paperwork?
Do you waste your time formatting all the documents?
Are you stressed out about all your legal requirements?

Of course you are. You have enough on your plate already, and keeping up with paperwork isn't on the top of your to-do list. But unfortunately, it's part of your job because it's a legal requirement. And, you've answered 'YES' to at least half of the questions above.

Related articles:



Emmerentia Strydom 2014-07-16 20:03:51

If small medium enterprise service providers are not register with COID, will an indemnity form signed by the worker be sufficient or must it be signed by worker, manager and MD/CEO of SME provide letter e.g. landscaping services. Under what circumstance will the signed indemnity cover employer if worker of service provider be injured. Is it a must/ good practice to let anybody entering the grounds as visitor or attending a workshop or congress to complete indemnity form / access permit stating employer not liable for injuries incurred unless negligence could be proven on the side of employer, damage or loss of property.


RSS Facebook Share the experience
Health and Safety Club
  • COID
  • Contractors
  • Emergencies
  • Fire Safety
  • First Aid
  • Health and Safety Audit
  • Health and Safety Inspection
  • Health and Safety Representatives
  • Health and Safety Training
  • Induction
  • OHSA
  • PPE
  • Risk Assessment
Video Archive Video club
Your library of Free eReports
View full library
FREE Download: 10 Health & Safety appointment letters!

Download 10 Health & Safety appointment letters you legally need in your safety file!