Report workplace incidents to the Compensation Commissioner and the DoL correctly!, 27 Mar. 2013

Tags: health and safety, coid, ohsa, occupational health and safety act, compensation commissioner

The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) spells out the incidents that must be reported to the Compensation Commissioner and the Department of Labour. If you don’t report an occupational incident you could be found guilty of a criminal offence.

But you can avoid this from happening to you!

Read on to discover what types of workplace incidents you must report and who they must be reported to.

The different kinds of workplace incidents you must report and who you must report them to
The severity and type of incident determines who you must report an incident to.
2 workplace incidents to report to the Compensation Commissioner
Incident #1: Any injury on duty serious enough to warrant three days away from work that requires treatment by a doctor (medical practitioner), and which will incur medical expenses. These need to be reported to the Compensation Commissioner on form W.CL. 2, which you can download from
Bongi, an office worker, trips on loose carpet tiles, falls and breaks an ankle. The ankle needs to be set in a cast. She is unable to work for at least three days and returns to work on crutches.
Incident #2: Any listed occupational disease or an adverse health effect caused by occupational exposure must be reported to the Compensation Commissioner (Schedule 3 of COIDA).
TB is listed in Schedule 3 of the OHSA BOOKLET" target="_blank" class="contextual_links">OHSA as an occupational disease, so if an employee contracts TB it must be reported to the Compensation Commissioner on form W.CL. 1.
Any other adverse health effect which the doctor believes was caused by the person’s work (Section 25 of the OHSA) must be reported on form W.CL. 1 (also downloadable from
A data capturer or computer operator develops pain in the hand due to the repetitive movements of typing, resulting in carpal tunnel syndrome. This condition requires surgery and the person may be off work for several days.
Now let’s look at what workplace incidents you’ll report to the Regional Director of the Department of Labour…
5 workplace incidents you must report to the Department of Labour
In addition to reporting the above incidents to the Compensation Commissioner, there're certain incidents you must report to the Department of Labour’s (DoL) Regional Director (OHSA Section 24). These include when:
1.    A person dies, becomes unconscious, loses a limb or part of a limb;
2.    The person is likely to die as a result of the injuries sustained;
3.    The person is likely to suffer permanent physical defect;
4.    The person will be unable to work for a period of 14 days; and
5.    The person will be unable to return to the work for which they were employed.
How to report workplace incidents to the DoL in 2 simple steps
Check out the Health and Safety Advisor to find out how to go about reporting incidents to the Compensation Commissioner and the DoL Regional Directors correctly so you don’t have to risk facing criminal liability!

Related articles:




RSS Facebook Share the experience
Health and Safety Club
  • COID
  • Contractors
  • Emergencies
  • Fire Safety
  • First Aid
  • Health and Safety Audit
  • Health and Safety Inspection
  • Health and Safety Representatives
  • Health and Safety Training
  • Induction
  • OHSA
  • PPE
  • Risk Assessment
Hi, I would like to find out which is the best course to undertake for safety training between Samtrac and...[read more]
Published on 18 Aug. 2016 1 answer
What is the difference between the SHE representative and the H&S representative? Do they need to undergo training...[read more]
Published on 22 Jul. 2016 1 answer
Published on 11 Aug. 2016 1 answer
Can anyone please advise if there is a difference in training for She Reps, She Officers and She Committee Members??...[read more]
Published on 29 Aug. 2016 1 answer
what is difference between safety inspector and safety officer[read more]
Published on 27 Jul. 2016 1 answer
What are the challenges a safety officer on a construction site face in relation to procurement management and please...[read more]
Published on 21 Aug. 2016 1 answer
Video Archive Video club
Your library of Free eReports
View full library
FREE Download: 10 Health & Safety appointment letters!

Download 10 Health & Safety appointment letters you legally need in your safety file!