Your employee Mark’s injured at work and he’s been booked off for three months. Here’s what happens to his salary

Ashley Churchyard, Fsp Business, 17 Dec. 2014

Tags: coid, coida, injury compensation, employee salary, employer refund from coid, coid refund

Picture this scenario: It’s the end of the work day and all your employees are starting to leave. Mark, who’s working at the top of a ladder, finishes his work and starts climbing down. As he does so, he slips.

His fall shatters his hip and breaks two ribs.

You rush him to the hospital, where the doctor says he’ll need surgery and can’t work for three months.

The good news is, Mark can get injury compensation from COID. But what you want to know is whether you have to keep paying Mark his salary while he’s off from work.

COIDA has a rule about this too.

Here’s what it says…

*********** Best seller  *************
Do you know when to claim from COID? Shocking survey reveals 5 out of 7 managers don’t! 
Discover when your company can claim today...

Here’s what happens to Mark’s salary while he’s off from work

According to the COID Compliance Guide, you must keep paying Mark’s salary for the first three months he’s off sick. If the doctor books him off for longer than three months, you wouldn’t pay his salary for month four and onwards.
But you don’t have to pay his full salary either. COIDA states you only need to pay him 75% of his monthly salary. 
There’s also a limit to how much you need to pay your employee. You don’t have to pay him more than R16 832, even if 75% of his salary is more than that.
Now you might not think it’s fair to keep paying an employee who can’t work. That’s why COID will refund you this money. 
You see, COID protects your interests too by paying you back for your employee’s salary while he can’t work. 
This way, you don’t lose money. 
So how do you get this money back from COID?

Here’s what you have to do to get your money back from COID

The first thing you have to do is report the accident and injury to COID by submitting a completed W.CL.2 form. 
You also need to submit a W.CL.4 (medical report) that states exactly how long your employee needs to be off from work. 
COID will already have your statement of earnings, so the Commissioner can see how much you pay your employee each month. It will use this to see what you should pay your employee while he’s off from work. 
To claim the money from the Commissioner, send him a copy of your employee’s payslips from the three months to show exactly how much you paid your employee for his time off. 
Just remember, you can decide to pay your employee more than the 75%, but COID doesn’t have an obligation to refund you for the additional payment. 
Make sure you document your payments to your employee so you can claim the money back from COID
This process makes it possible for your employee to recover without worrying about money and for your business to carry on without making a loss.
To find out more about your obligations as an employer under COIDA, check out the COID Compliance Guide

Related articles:




RSS Facebook Share the experience
Health and Safety Club
  • COID
  • Contractors
  • Emergencies
  • Fire Safety
  • First Aid
  • Health and Safety Audit
  • Health and Safety Inspection
  • Health and Safety Representatives
  • Health and Safety Training
  • Induction
  • OHSA
  • PPE
  • Risk Assessment
Video Archive Video club
Your library of Free eReports
View full library
FREE Download: 10 Health & Safety appointment letters!

Download 10 Health & Safety appointment letters you legally need in your safety file!